snippets and thoughts and stuff what i wrote

Tuesday, September 28, 2004

For Daddy

On Father’s Day

The years go by and older I
Look back at what I’ve learned.
The things I’ve seen, places I’ve been,
And all the bridges burned.

The trips I took in life and book –
Have taught me quite a lot
But more it took (than life and book)
To get me where I’ve got.

From you and Mum, the basics come
And on which I have built:
The wit, the smarts, the drive, the heart,
A healthy dose of guilt.

Look back a ways, to early days -
Memories I treasure so:
The training wheels, my girlish squeals,
Of “Daddy, don’t let go!”

And next to you, I’d sleep right through
The end of Barney Miller.
My fears you’d quash when bugs you’d squash
Or spray with the roach killer.

You’d play guitar or drive the car,
And then we both would croon,
But with the beer and Tolan near
We rarely were in tune.

The give and take, the jokes we’d make,
The cribbage and the Scrabble,
The movie shows, my teenage woes
About which I would babble.

More recently a game we’d see
Some football and, once, hockey.
Billiards we play when I come to stay,
Though winning makes you cocky.

Politics debate – the difference great -
Our divergence of opinion.
You’ve seen me through maturation to
New Yorker from Virginian.

I cannot say, words can’t convey,
The things for which I’m grateful
And if I could this poem would
Be mailed by the crateful.

For through example you’ve shown me ample
Strength, warmth, and dignity.
Because of you, and Mummy too,
I’ve seen who I could be.

I’m not there yet, but don’t regret
The journey I am taking,
For you’ve shown me, though hard it be,
My life is my own making.

The gifts you gave, sacrifices made,
Have shown me what is Love.
So now I strive a life to live
That you will be proud of.

The years go by and older I
Can see how far I’ve gotten,
But further still I travel will,
Your lessons unforgotten.

No comments: